What is happening with City Lights!
Dear City Lights Friends and Family,
Happy New Year! This year we're bringing real returns by continuing to support our youth-- the most precious investment for the future.
Registration is up online.
The Mainstage Play will be The Grapes of Wrath, and the Mainstage Musical will be RENT School Edition.
The spring semester is almost here! Find out more about our Core Program at: Class Descriptions and Schedule or view our brochure here. We're offering some great new classes, including Best of Broadway for Kids and City Lights Glee Club.
Balancing Family with a Theatre Career: A Roundtable (Episode #311): Robin Rothstein moderates a roundtable about balancing a theatre career with raising a family. Guests include Artistic Director Rob McIntosh and Playwright-in-Residence Dana Leslie Goldstein. (23:28)More...
The Origins Project 2009 was a rousing success! Check out our press page for credits that Somebody in America: A New Ellis Island Musical has received.
* Check out the video and Photo Albumfrom City Lights' performance on Liberty Island this past 4th of July to celebrate the reopening of the crown of the Statue of Liberty! As part of the opening ceremonies, the City Lights kids sang “Huddled Masses” from the new musical, LIBERTY, joined by Sasha Allen (Hair) as Lady Liberty herself.
City Lights also performed excerpts from WITH NOTHING BUT A DREAM: Stories from Ellis Island, an original musical written by the students of City Lights’ The Origins Project and Musical Theatre Songwriting classes.
Visit our new and improved Photo Gallery! Photo highlights from City Lights'2009 season (Play, Musical, Spring Perfomance Festival) are available.
The Core Program provides age-appropriate classes in acting, musical theatre and playwriting in an after-school and weekend workshop format. Students perform in a season of productions produced in a variety of venues, including our on-site Studio Theatre. City Lights guarantees that at least 50% of our students receive need-based financial aid through City Lights Scholarship Fund.
In an effort to better impact the environment, City Lights is reducing its print consumption. The usual mailing brochure is now available here for viewing.
Registration is now OPEN! Register online!
Find out more about our Core Program at: Class Descriptions and Schedule
* Theatre-in-the-Classroom – an interdisciplinary approach to the arts, which connects our successful drama-immersion methodology to your curriculum.
* Playwriting – solid literacy components within every residency.
* Process-Based Sharing – culminations rich in the spirit of celebrating the journey students take with learning.
* Site-Specific Design – residencies reflecting each individual school’s mission.
* New York City’s Most Talented Teaching Artists – the extraordinary gifts our professional artists share with your students in the classroom today will be the same craft they deliver to an audience on a professional stage tonight.
Theatre, Poetry, Music and Dance – City Lights is City-Wide.